Friday, September 28, 2012

Animal Collective: "Merriweather Post Pavilion"


It hurts.

Suggested songs for listening: None. This really sucks.


Yay. Leaves in space. Makes perfect
sense when you're ON ACID.
*Sigh*… Well, here we go…

You might be wondering why I chose this album as the piece of work to return to after a short hiatus from writing my reviews. I happened to spot that Animal Collective had released a new album recently and remembered my first experience with them once day while watching music videos. The song “For My Girls” somehow made it onto the screen and I watched that acid-induced horror from start to finish, never to be the same again. Here I am, years later, wondering if I can give them a second shot. I tried to be open-minded, I really did. But Animal Collective has collectively made me want to hit myself in the head with a bat.

Look, I’m going to give it away early this time: I hate this album. I hate Animal Collective. I’d love to throw them and their stupid keyboards off a cliff into the sea to end the pain-inducing synth-wank that is every single one of their songs. But I guess I should probably give an explanation or something, so here we go.

Apparently, “Merriweather Post Pavilion” is one of Animal Collective’s more acclaimed albums from their surprisingly large repertoire. However, I have an issue with it from the very beginning: it is ridiculously over-produced. Maybe this is to be expected from a group of dudes jamming around with MIDI and experimenting with sounds from nature, but it’s too much. There comes a time when cramming every sound possible into a song is a BAD idea. Layering is fantastic when done correctly; addiction of more instrument variety (i.e. orchestral parts) can fill a song with welcomed sonic body. Taking ambient noises and stuffing them into an already MIDI-filled nightmare is not going to have a pretty result. Animal Collective failed to receive that memo and figured out the most grating trebles I’ve ever heard to smash onto the top of each song. The product is a bloated, overwhelming song with everything going wrong.

Man, it even hurts him to hear his own music...
Let’s point out some great examples. What in the world is that stupid synth riff doing in “Daily Routine”? Why did they have to use the most annoying twang sound in “Lion In A Coma”? Why are the first two songs laden with high, scratchy treble garbage that covers everything over? Why do they suddenly tone everything down in the boring loop called “No More Runnin’”?

How high were these guys when they wrote this crap?

Speaking of treble, it should be noted that the EQ on this entire album is basically stuck in the 1000+ Hertz range with nothing below for support. There are heavily mixed drum beats here and there, but for the most part I was gritting my teeth at each crescendo when the higher notes shredded my ear drums. This leads to the problem that every song feels like a large balloon you desperately have to hold onto, assuring that it doesn’t just float away. Rarely does there come a point where you feel the beat and want to jam out; most of the songs are atmospheric and painfully thin. Even when a decent beat comes around, it is suffocated by a cluster of whiny vocals and strange synthetic sound, or it becomes so estranged to the song itself that it simply doesn’t sound like it fits.

The next issue lies within song structure itself. All the songs in “Merriweather Post Pavilion” are repetitive as hell. Animal Collective seems most content to sink into a loop for far too long, creating a dulling sensation in the brain. This music is not for listening; it is for numbing. After hearing the singers croon the same incoherent line for a minute straight, my brain shuts off. To make it more interesting you could try to listen to each part, but it probably won’t fit with whatever else is happening. You can try to hear what the vocals are saying, but the reverb and dissonance usually cuts the words into garbled fragments. It is truly a mess.

..... Just.... no.....
One might argue that bands like Between The Buried And Me do the same thing as Animal Collective: throw random riffs and sounds at a wall until something barely sticks, then lump it all together with fine tuning. A careful listener will easily hear the rhyme and reason in songs written by BTBAM and other bands like them; no such thing is found in Animal Collective’s music. This is randomness at its finest. This is LSD garage jams recorded on a cell phone and halfway recreated in a studio somehow. This is not good writing. This is not good music.

I’m having trouble making this review any longer because the music pisses me off so much. The treble shrieks hurt my ears, my brain is confused in the worst way possible, and yet I am so very bored. The burning questions are not only why people actually love this crap but also why such a pretentious piece of trash is regarded as one of their best albums. Listening to this album is one of the least enjoyable experiences I’ve had in a long time. I don’t care how calculated this “music” may sound in any way—it’s not. It’s not good. It’s not even mediocre. This is crap. Animal Collective’s “Merriweather Post Pavilion” sticks itself a:


1 thought of suicide out of 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment